Double cut burrs, also known as double-cut carbide burrs
, are commonly used for metalworking applications and are known for their aggressive cutting action and versatility. The best material for double cut burrs is tungsten carbide (WC). Here's why:
1. Hardness and Durability: Tungsten carbide is an extremely hard material, ranking high on the Mohs scale of hardness. This hardness allows tungsten carbide burrs to maintain sharp cutting edges and resist wear even when working with tough materials like steel, cast iron, and stainless steel. Tungsten carbide burrs can withstand high temperatures generated during cutting without losing their cutting efficiency.
2. Heat Resistance: Tungsten carbide has excellent thermal stability, making it resistant to heat and thermal deformation. When using double cut burrs, heat is generated due to the friction between the burr and the workpiece. Tungsten carbide's heat resistance ensures that the burr can withstand high temperatures without dulling or losing its cutting performance.
3. Cutting Performance: Tungsten carbide burrs offer exceptional cutting performance. The double cut design features cross-cutting flutes that intersect, creating a crisscross pattern of cutting edges. This design allows for aggressive material removal, efficient chip evacuation, and reduced clogging. The double cut pattern also produces a smoother finish compared to single cut burrs.
tungsten carbide burrs
4. Versatility: Tungsten carbide double cut burrs are versatile and can be used on various materials, including metals, composites, plastics, and wood. They are commonly used in metalworking applications like deburring, shaping, grinding, and weld preparation. The aggressive cutting action of double cut burrs allows for rapid material removal and precise shaping, making them suitable for a wide range of projects.
5. Longevity: Tungsten carbide burrs have excellent longevity, making them a cost-effective choice in the long run. They can withstand heavy use and maintain their cutting performance for an extended period without frequent replacement.
It's worth noting that tungsten carbide double cut burrs are typically used with high-speed rotary tools such as die grinders or flexible shaft machines. Proper safety precautions should always be followed when using burrs, including wearing safety glasses, gloves, and hearing protection.
In summary, tungsten carbide is the best material for double cut burrs due to its exceptional hardness, durability, heat resistance, and cutting performance. It is the preferred choice for demanding metalworking applications and offers a balance between aggressive material removal and a smooth finish.